i woke up to what sounded like gun shots
then i ran down to the street to make sure i had hung the parkng permit on my car
yesterday i gave a homeless man $20 – he wore braces on his teenth – he was obvioulsy newly homeless. and it was raining.
HRH had a tumor biposied – still waiting for results
i am having lunch and dinner with friends, and both dates will require approx 1 hour of driving to and from
my friend A is turning 40 tomorrow
50% of my students failed the midterm
True Blood still isn’t out on DVD
hard to focus on one cogent paragraph when all this is floating around my brain at 9 am. i blame the gunshot wake-up. although i suspect the sound came from the construction site 2 blocks away, and had nothing to do with guns…
Facebook is the new meme producer. I was tagged with this “25 random things about me” task, which my friend C more accurately described as “25 things that are not random but are about me” (she inspired today’s title, she is way good at those things).
In order to shake things up a bit and not let the dearth in posting run completely dry here at galainoregon, I reproduce my list for your enjoyment. For the American grammaticists among you, I was taught English by the English, and consequently spell that past tense of irregular verbs such as LEARN with a T. You say learnED. I say learnT. Let’s call the whole thing off.
1. I like making lists, but not necessarily this kind.
2. I met the man of my life at the Newark airport luggage carousel.
3. I vacillate between wanting to change the world and wanting to change my world.
4. I have never learnt how to play chess.
5. I like True Blood on HBO. I really like it.
6. I wonder what Graham Greene would have written about our current world.
7. Pinot over merlot, sour over sweet, dark over milk, but tea AND coffee, no compromises.
8. I’d rather wear sneakers.
9. Sundays are for the NYT x-word puzzle.
10. My mom and I once dreamed of owning a bookstore together.
11. My grandmother was a great gardener and I am sorry I did not inherit that trait from her.
12. My dad speaks 6 languages, and I did inherit that trait from him.
13. I miss my best friend.
14. I care about manners and grammar (perhaps more than I should).
15. I learnt to swim in Rio.
16. I learnt to drive in Brussels.
17. I like royalty cookie tins, miniature Atomiums, polka dots and stripes, and skulls (but not real ones).
18. I would like to spend one year in Sweden, and then another year in Japan.
19. My desk is always quite messy.
20. I am still deliberating over an iTouch vs a new iPod. Help!
21. I am wedded and committed to my Blackberry.
22. For an historian I have a pretty bad memory.
23. I read maps quite well, but give very bad directions (confuse Left and Right).
24. I just finished writing a book.
25. I love skype, facebook, email and anything else that makes distances smaller.